Generic drug discovery and e-commerce
In India, generic drugs have largely remained unknown. Here’s why:
- Doctors don’t want to prescribe it due to ₹0 kick-back.
- Pharmacies don’t have time to educate buyers and then sell.
- Normal users are confused with various alternatives.
How Big It Is
Our domestic pharma industry for 2020 stands at ₹1.4 lakh crore. Generics drugs, which cost around 30% lesser than their branded counterparts, account for a small minority of the domestic sales.
These are high-margin drugs for pharmacies, with them buying it at 1/3rd of MRP. If we maintain a sizeable monthly order size from them, we can easily net a 40% commission on all drug purchases. This brings our Total Addressable Market (TAM) for generic drugs to ₹39,200 crores for 2020.
(₹1.4 lakh crore) * (70% generic price, compared to branded) * (40% commission)
A no-bullshit, generic drug discovery mobile app!
Users simply share their branded drug name and our system comes back with its generic counterpart manufactured by a reputed pharma company, along with an option to checkout.
- Start with your own city.
- Select limited pharmacy partners for supply.
- App users begin by typing their drug name (generic or branded).
- Even voice search can be enabled.
- For branded drugs, only one generic alternative is suggested, manufactured by a reputed company.
- If there is no generic counterpart, users can choose branded.
- For generic drugs, users are provided its uses, side effects, Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients (APIs) and branded drugs using the same APIs .
- Users see the drug price (with ~ % savings, vis-a-vis branded).
- Both online payment and COD option is available.
- Our delivery guys pickup drugs from partnered pharmacies and deliver it to customers.
- If drugs need prescription, buyers present it at delivery.
Without 0 confusion, a trusted name and a minimum discount of 30% off compared to its branded counterpart, the app has the potential to disrupt the retail pharma market.
Pricing / Business Model
As mentioned earlier, charge a 40% commission on generic drug orders from pharmacies. For branded drugs, which will hardly account for 5% of sales, charge a 15% commission. These only serve as backup.
With a clean UI, helping users find the drug they need quickly, and targeted digital marketing, the following can be assumed as your returns for the first year:
|Users acquired over a year (A)||2,40,000 (20,000 p.m. x 12 months)|
|Active users making atleast 1 purchase in Y1 (B)||12,000 (5% of A)|
|Average yearly purchase per active user (C)||5|
|Average order size (D)||₹350|
|Total sales for Year 1 (E)||₹2,10,00,000 (B x C x D)|
|Commission on generic drugs (F)||₹79,80,000 (E x 95% share x 40% commission)|
|Commission on branded drugs (G)||₹1,57,500 (E x 5% share x 15% commission)|
|Total Commission (H)||₹81,37,500 (F+G)|
|User acquisition cost (I)||₹19,20,000 (₹8 x A)|
|Order satisfaction cost (J)||₹15,00,000 (₹25 x B x C)|
|Expected Earnings||₹47,17,500 (H-I-J)|
Thus, you can achieve a ~ ₹47 lakhs revenue in 12 months with proper execution!
If you love the business idea and would consider building it together, let’s get on a no-strings-attached, discovery call 🙂
For more such ideas, do not forget to subscribe to our weekly idea alerts.